Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 08:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *bsd on srm-less alpha's

John Baldwin writes:

 > On 08-May-2002 Terry Lambert wrote:
 > > Wilko Bulte wrote:

 > >> But be prepared to have a lot of work to do yourself.
 > >
 > > Particularly in the VM system.  With different microcode, you
 > > get digfferent machine instructions.  FreeBSD relies on a
 > > number of instructions which act a particular way because they
 > > are implemented in the SRM that way.
 >
 > Umm, we use instructions from PALcode, not from SRM.  Now I think SRM
 > contains certain versions of PALcode (VMS and Unix ones) whereas the
 > ARC stuff uses the NT PALcode.  You would need to change more than VM
 > though.  PAL is used for context switching and for enable/disable
 > interrupts, etc.

He's talking about using MILO, which, at least as of 2.1.13, uses the
OSF PALcode.  What nobody knows is if the PALcode in milo is close
enough to the "real" OSF PALcode used by the SRM for it to be usable
by FreeBSD.   It certainly seems close, as it has the text "SRM" and
"OSF" littered all over it.

Now, I've heard various people talk about how we need certain VM
related PALcode functions that aren't avalable in the MILO palcode,
However, nobody has mentioned exactly which function this is, and I
think this might be an urban legend.

I do agree that getting this to work just isn't worth the time and effort.

Drew