Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 02:37:45 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A proposal for focus.

I've been watching the debates on this list ping-pong back and forth
for the last couple of months now, and it occurs to me that one thing
we're lacking here is even a reasonable consensus about what areas of
FreeBSD advocacy to focus on first.  Everyone's got all these good
ideas and there's all this energy flowing, but it's also moving in a
lot of different directions and, in some cases, even directly against
itself.  I'm not saying that a bit of uncontrolled ferment isn't a
good thing, but without some sort of overlying structure and set of
ground rules, it all quickly degrades to a room full of people trying
to shout over one another.

So, without trying to imply that my "vision" should supercede anyone
else's (these are only suggestions), here are a couple of initial
"ground rules" which I'd like to suggest:

First, we agree to set aside, and strictly for the time being, all
discussion on "commercializing" FreeBSD or the kinds of corporate
entities we'd like to see formed to provide this or that support or
this or that embedded product.  I know that's a very large category of
activity to set aside so casually, and don't think that I haven't
spent a fair amount of time thinking it over, but I really think that
choosing to focus on this *now*, right when we're really only just
beginning to have a dedicated advocacy group at all, would be bad
timing.  I'd much rather we focused on gaining a better toehold in the
free software community and attracting a greater number of followers
there before even thinking seriously about spending much of our time
and resources dealing with the far more demanding world of commercial
software.  I can appreciate people's impatience to reach "level two",
but frankly I think we still have a ways to go in mastering "level
one" and I'd really rather do that first since it'll also be a lot
easier to contemplate a commercial venture if some larger compnent of
the free software world is substantially more behind us.

My second suggestion is that we agree to knock it off with the
negative advertising.  If we're to win at PR, it won't be because
we're better at pointing out our opponent's flaws than we are at
extolling our own virtues.  A certain amount of pointed comparison is
all well and good in certain contexts, but it's not a substitute for a
good sales approach.

- Jordan