Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:04:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ttys patch - any objections?

Mark Murray writes:
 > Hi
 >
 > The attached patch gets done by me any time I set up a FreeBSD
 > box (I like lots of VTYs and X on ALT-F12).
 >
 > Any objections to my committing this?

I object.

Most of my machines are headless without video cards and use a serial
console.  With devfs this means that /dev/ttyv[1-N] do not exist and
getty bitches like this:

Sep 26 11:00:11 monet getty[543]: open /dev/ttyv1: No such file or directory

Its an incredible pain in the ass to get spammed by these things on a
9600 baud serial console while you're editing ttys to turn the damned
things off.   I don't want to have to have 4 more lines of spam to
deal with when installing a new server.

If you also fix getty to silently ignore the problem and go to sleep
forever, then I withdraw my objection.

Thanks,

Drew