Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:00:27 -0400
From:      Dan Pelleg <dpelleg+unison@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Henri DF <henri.dubois-ferriere@epfl.ch>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, ru@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: unison-2.9.1

Kris Kennaway writes:
 > On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 06:25:42PM +0200, Henri Dubois-Ferriere wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > I noticed  a slight inconstistency : the unison version obtained when
 > > querying the freebsd ports database
 > > (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi) is given as 2.9.1, whereas the
 > > sources downloaded are actually 2.9.20.
 >
 > I show 2.9.20 since I committed the new INDEX the other day.
 >
 > > More importantly, I was surprised that the 'official' port would be 2.9.20
 > > which is still the beta version of unison. Is this intentional?
 >
 > You'd have to ask the maintainer, but I assume it is.

It is; 2.9.1 was marked forbidden by ru due do a data-corruption bug (which
he experienced and reported to the dev list, btw). He also verified that
2.9.20 fixes the problem.

Since the unison project seems to have lost manpower (the UPenn students
having graduated and the project lead turning his attention to other
problems), my impression was that waiting for the next stable release would
not be productive.