Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:33:23 -0500
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   disconnecting keyboard: big trouble !?!

Hello:

>  For some reason, I needed to borrow the keyboard from my FreeBSD
>  PC (running 4.9 STABLE). So I disconnected the keyboard.
>
>  When I reconnected it some time later, the system refused to use
>  the keyboard. Key hits were totally ignored.

	Is the keyboard USB or PS/2?
	It is my understanding PS/2 keyboards (or mice, or anything)
are not required to be hot-pluggable.  Some them, by the grace of
the motherboard maker, are ... but hot-plugging PS/2 has been known
to fry the (otherwise reputable) motherboard.
	If it's USB, then check /etc/usbd.conf.

			Robert Huff