Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2008 06:37:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jbsnyder <jbsnyder@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS & Bittorent -> Hang?

Ivan Voras-7 wrote:

> jbsnyder wrote:
>> Hi -
>>
>> I'm not yet filing a PR on this since I'm wondering if anyone else has
>> experienced this issue.  I've got ZFS running on a raid-z with 4 disks,
>> C2Duo 2.33 Ghz, 64-bit FreeBSD 7 release, 4GB RAM.  For the most part
>> this
>> has been working perfectly, but I recently I tried using
>> transmission-daemon
>> (a bittorrent client/daemon) to download a few things and noticed that if
>> it
>> runs for an extended period of time, a lot of processes are waiting on
>> zfs
>> and just hang.  If I'm not logged in while this is happens, SSH access
>> hangs.  Also, if I manage to be logged in, AFP access to the volume, and
>> some heavier disk access items (like building from ports at stages of
>> unzipping archives and checksumming) seem to hang as well.
>>
>> I've not done extensive testing, but the same behavior has been exhibited
>> both times I've tried it.  The interesting thing is that the transmission
>> seems to keep on chugging, and does finish downloading eventually, it's
>> just
>> that everything else doesn't get a chance at getting some IO, even if I
>> kill
>> the transmission-daemon.
>>
>> I've done the recommended tweaks on the freebsd wiki for AMD64 machines,
>> and
>> I'm running ULE.  Otherwise things are pretty standard.
>>
>> I'll file a more detailed PR with some additional testing if nobody else
>> has
>> encountered this and/or has a workaround.
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSKnownProblems
>
> This looks like #1.

Hmm.. I don't think there's a large amount of transfer between UFS & ZFS,
unless the client is using /tmp a lot, it should all be on ZFS.

I noted #4 as well, and therefore tried disabling prefetch.  I can't seem to
get it to hang now.  I queued up a bunch of different torrents (full freebsd
7 amd64 & i386, some other random things), and they all completed without
leading to me being locked out or any processes waiting on zfs.

I'll try some testing this weekend to see if I can reproduce the lock-up
again by re-enabling prefetch.  Perhaps we can confirm that issue?  Should I
bother with trying to run CURRENT or should any testing I do be done with
STABLE.  I don't see any indication that there might be experimental patches
for dealing with this or related issues.