Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:22:37 +0200
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

> You also pay Microsoft for their stuff - makes a big difference ...

The rest of FreeBSD seems to have been written without any checks from
me.

> ... my guess if you contacted the ahc() developer and offered to pay
> him the cost of an NT server license he would be more than happy to
> mod the driver no matter how much of an asshole you chose to be to
> him. (or her)

I probably still have a pristine copy of NT Server in a sealed box
somewhere. I think I bought several copies.  I know I have a sealed box
of Office 97, since it's sitting right next to me, but apparently it has
some issues when installed on XP (these days I hesitate to install
anything from Microsoft because installing one MS product seems to
install about 95% of its other products automagically).

> In any case if you meet the driver author halfway and don't approach
> it like it's his driver that's broken, but rather that your hardware
> isn't exactly compliant, (regardless of what you really believe) you
> won't be put into the anal insertion category.

If I have to worry about hurting the developer's delicate feelings,
maybe a new developer might be a good idea.  I hoped to stop having to
deal with schoolkids when I got out of school.  Good developers feel
morally obligated to deliver bug-free code and don't have to be nagged
about it.

--
Anthony