Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2005 02:56:19 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another grep question

Does anyone know why

grep -R "\0x93" /www/htdocs

turns up only binary files, even when I know there are text files in the
directory that contain this character?  Is there something special about
the way I specify the search string that causes grep to behave
differently?  When I specify an 8-bit character like this alone for a
search, it finds only binary files, even though this is a text
character--as if it is looking at the search string and deciding that I
want to search only binary files.

The man page doesn't seem to say anything about this.  Is it my
imagination?

--
Anthony