From:      Hunter <hunter2k@hotbox.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with installation!

Hi all and thanks for the tips!
For those who didn't read my first message I repeat it:

>> I downloaded ISO images (4.4 Release) from ftp.ru.freebsd.org
>> and made corresponding CDs with Easy CD Creator.
>> Problems:
>>
>> 1) The Install Disk (Disk1) is not bootable! What the hell is
>> this???
>>
>> 2) I booted from Fixit Disk (Disk2) and then inserted Disk1 for
>> installation purposes. When the installation started (after
>> repartitioning) I saw this: "Cannot parse information file for the
>> dict distribution: I/O error.  Please verify that your media is
>> valid and try again" And then the same messages for some other
>> distributions. At last I saw this: "Signal 11 was caught... etc" and
>> computer rebooted.  What's this?
>>
>> 3) I've tried to create floppy images but the tools directory
>> DOESN'T EXIST ON MY INSTALL DISK!!!

LB> All three of these have something to do with the install disk.  Do
LB> the size and MD5 hash of 4.4-install.iso check out?  That SIGSEGV
LB> during install seems weird to me, but I suppose it could be caused by,
LB> say, a broken executable on the install disk.

>> I have a feeling that these ISO images are not full or just fake.

I've tried to solve these problems. As for the answers on my questions
- it seems to me that several people didn't understand me correctly.
Let me explain again:
1) Disk1 (Install) - is the CD disk (not floppy) made from ISO image
(4.4-install.iso). And it's not bootable. I can't explain this. Maybe
you can?
2) I've tried to install FreeBSD from DOS partition. All was well
till "signal 11 was caught... etc". This bullshit happened again.
I guess the problem doesn't concern CD itself (I mean CD surface) but
it does concern the installer.
3) As for the floppies... hmm...  floppy with kernel isn't identified
as bootable - strange but real

That's all news I have for now. I keep trying. Still unsuccessfully.
With respect,      Hunter, Russia            mailto:hunter2k@hotbox.ru