Date:      Sat, 01 Jun 1996 10:12:25 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: very disappointed with FreeBSD doc CD-Rom

> Hi !
>
> I'm very disappointed about the FreeBSD doc CD-ROM.

The docs CD is one of those products which I had nothing to do with
and does have some (what I feel to be) unnecessary limitations
and organizational choices which make it hard to use.

I will be taking a personal hand in the next one, and hope to make it
far more useful to FreeBSD people.  One of the ideas I have is to
store the news in its original format so that there's some hope of
pointing a news reader at it and organizing the mail with a glimpse
database for quick searching.  Speaking of which, does anyone know of
a dummy version of nntp which just "exports" a tree as news and
doesn't attempt to manage a history file or exchange news with other
sites or essentially do _any_ kind of other news related junk?  I
just need some way for the user to be able to read the news off the
CD without having to set up an entire news server!

Any other ideas for making the next docs CD better will be happily
accepted.  It will be an integrated part of the 2.1.5 CD release
set (which will be 4 CDs, but the same price), so a LOT more people
are going to be seeing it!  Get those suggestions to me now! :-)

				Jordan