Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2018 12:34:26 -0500
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Jails and Amavisd

We are trying to set up a remote MX service hosted in a FreeBSD-11
(ez)jail.  We have postfix running but we are having trouble with
getting amavisd to start.  Rnning it as a service gives this result:

service amavisd start
Starting amavisd.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/amavisd: WARNING: failed to start amavisd

The log entry made in /var/log/messages says this:

Jan 25 12:26:55 hllmx150 root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/amavisd: WARNING:
failed to start amavisd

Which provides no clue as to what has gone wrong.  There are no
entries made in /var/log/amavis/amavisd.log respecting this failure.

If we run amavisd from the command line then we see this:

# amavisd

  The value of variable $myhostname is "hllmx150", but should have been
  a fully qualified domain name; perhaps uname(3) did not provide such.
  You must explicitly assign a FQDN of this host to variable $myhostname
  in amavisd.conf, or fix what uname(3) provides as a host's network
name!

However, uname -a shows this:

# uname -a
FreeBSD hllmx150 11.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Wed Aug
9 11:55:48 UTC 2017
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

# uname -n
hllmx150

So what is the error actually telling me?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3