Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 16:04:06 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        CVS-commiters@freefall.cdrom.com, cvs-sys@freefall.cdrom.com, davidg@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa wd.c wdreg.h

>  Modified:    sys/i386/isa wd.c wdreg.h
>  Log:
>  Fixes and improvements from John Dyson:
>
>  Fixed the I/O statistics
>  Allow WD1007 type controllers to work
>  Support MULTI-BLOCK I/O
>  Correct delay to use port 0x84, reading the status register
>  might not be a long enough delay.
>  Changed probe message to match SCSI type devices.

Please don't fix or improve wd.c or sd.c any more until the sliced
versions are committed.

I've fixed the I/O statistics too.

I used a WD1007 for 2 years.  Who broke the support for it? :-).

The delay needs to be done better.  First, 1.x usec for an inb() is at
least (0.550 + 0.x) usec wasted.  Second, some machines are reported
to optimize some motherboard inb()s.  I think reading the status register
is more likely to give a long enough delay since the register is (much)
more likely to be on the bus.

I've fixed the probe message too, but not to match the recently censored
SCSI messages.  It was broken with the help of bogus indentation in
revision 1.31.

Bruce