Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 02:26:27 +0200
From:      "wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl" <wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@aries.ibms.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Plug-n-Play Internet acccess (was Re: httpd as part of the  system.)

> On Sun, 26 Mar 1995, Alex R.N. Wetmore wrote:
> >
> > As for a standard mail package, Pine seems like the obvious answer to me.
> > It generally seems to be the easiest package to use and is fairly full
> > featured.
>
>     There's a big push these days from the major mainstream OS
> companies (i.e., Microsoft and IBM) to have personal IP connectivity
> right out of the box.  If we are to include some sort of "netpak",
> Pine is pretty much a must-have.  It's easy to use, comes with an
> integrated Pico editor, handles MIME without using an external
> program, and (most of all) can retrieve mail over IMAP.  AFAIK, Elm
> only works on locally-accessible mail spools, unless you hack in
> remote mail server support.  Do most ISP's that offer SLIP/PPP
> services provide IMAP servers?   I have Pine running on my FreeBSD box
> here in Taiwan, retrieving mail from my io.org account back in
> Toronto.  It works almost like magic.  :)

Why don't we just offer some alternatives like the Linux installation does.
You can choose from several mail clients to install for example.
This way we should be able to keep everybody (well a lot of people
anyway) happy and still offer plug-n-play.

So far we need:

	- a decent mail client (pine, elm, mh?)
	  Regarding the mail client, how about a setup that will
	  enable a slip/ppp user to send mail offline and have
	  it send out every hour (or so). It should also be
	  possible to make it appear as if the message was
	  sent from the users' popaccount (or another account).
	  I have patched mh to this end, but perhaps there is
	  a more standard and elegant way.
	- an HTML browser (still looking for suitable ones I believe)
	- a popclient (popclient)
	- a nice FTP client (ftptool, moxftp)
	- a newsreader ( suggestions? )
	  This should also be possible offline. Also
	  posting offline.
	- a frontend for making a slip/ppp-connection (has to be written)
	- ?

Marc.