Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 23:11:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Martin Renters <martin@victor.innovus.com>
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: netboot for each card?

I spent some time looking at how to fix the Makefile to build a version of
netboot for each type of card we support.  I looked through ether.c (actually
while trying to fix some breakage that occured to the SMC driver
during the 3C509 additions) and came to the conclusion that probably the
best approach is to separate out the two drivers and put each one in
its own source file.  (8390 boards in ns8390.c and 3c509 in 3c509.c)

Once that is done we can build a version of netboot that supports all the 8390
based cards and one that works on the 3C509 (with possible later additions
for the DEC chipset based boards).

What I would like to do is put all the ethernet specific code in the
source file for that driver.  Currently, the 3c503 driver has some ifdefs
in main.c and bootmenu.c to deal with the transceiver.  I'd like to remove
ifdefs and make 'trans' a standard command.  As far as the eth_fillname
function goes, I'd like to change that into a string defined by each driver.
Thus the ns8390 driver will declare

	char eth_driver[]="ed0";

and the 3c509 will declare

	char eth_driver[]="ep0";

I'd be willing to do the ns8390 based boards, and hopefully Serge will
take the 3c509 driver.  (If not I can look at that one too since I now
have access to those boards.)

Martin