Date:      Sun, 21 May 1995 06:23:56 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Subject:   Re: kernel database files

>Due to the way I name my kernels (kernel.MMDD, linked to /kernel),
>whenever I boot a new kernel for testing before linking it to
>/kernel, I wind up with a new kernel database file in /var/db.
>Booting a lot of different kernels can cause your root file system to
>start filling up, since these files are 300K+ in size.  How about if

I think the kernel database should be regenerated at every boot like
it was in 1.1.  kvm_mkdb was very slow in 2.0 due to braindamaged
buffering in kvm_mkdb and/or db and braindamaged non-delayed writing
of full blocks in ufs, but Poul fixed kvm_mkdb on 1995/01/10 so it
now takes only about 1 second on a DX2/66.

Bruce