Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 14:02:22 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   more gritching on the net..

From: nickkral@sextans.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (Nick Kralevich)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: BUGS in FreeBSD (Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD)
Date: 19 Jun 1995 18:24:18 GMT

In article <3s47ev$gi@news.nynexst.com>, H.J. Lu <hjl@nynexst.com> wrote:
>I found at least one strange bug in a BSD networking application.
>It seems that the BSD system could tolerate some junks which were
>rejected by Linux. I spent several hours trying to figure out why
>it didn't work under Linux. The last place I checked was the BSD source
>code. I couldn't believe it worked under BSD. It was a miracle :-(.

Well, I found 3 in one week (well, two were actual bugs, the other
was a non-feature).  And I've only been using FreeBSD for 2 weeks now!
So much for the stable code base that FreeBSD claims.  I like Linux
much better.

BTW, the bugs and non-features are:
  Inability to turn on or off BROADCAST or POINTOPOINT flag for
    loopback device.
  Packets are still transmitted even though the UP flag is not turned
    on in an interface.  "ifconfig -a" reports the interface as being
    down, but packets are still transmitted.  To test this, start up
    a SLIP connection, then type "ifconfig sl[whatever] down" and see
    if you can still use your connection.  You shouldn't be able to.
  non-feature:  The "rwhod" doesn't check connections to make sure they
    are still valid before sending packets out.  All the interfaces
    are registered on startup, and are never updated.  (BTW, Linux has
    the exact same problem with it's "rwhod" command).  The program was
    written this way, so I consider it a non-feature instead of a bug.

Actually, if someone has an answer for these problems, I would really
enjoy hearing them.  FreeBSD has given my roommate nothing but problems
(although he claims he enjoys it).  :)

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich
   nickkral@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu

--
LINUX, the FREE           | University of California at  | Nick Kralevich
Operating System of the   | Berkeley.  Department of     | nickkral@cory.eecs.