Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 14:31:58 -0400
From:      Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@CS.McGill.CA>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with login at 2400 bps

Hi. Logins at 2400 bps on my FreeBSD machine don't display text
properly.

I have a FreeBSD 2.0.5 system running on a 486DX2-66 with 8 megs of
memory. The modem is a USRobotics Sportster 14,400; it is plugged in a
serial port which has a 16550 UART (the number may be slightly wrong,
but it is a chip with a FIFO).

The serial rate is at 57600 bps and the connection rate is variable. I
use the "std.57600" gettytab entry (if such an entry doesn't exist a in
standard FreeBSD gettytab, then I guess I created it myself and don't
remember... If I created it myself, I did so by a straightforward
modification of the std.19200 entry).

I use the modem to allow some users to log into my machine. Some of
them login at 2400 bps (with 2400 bps modems), using their PC with
Telix or Telemate.  They use the vt100 termcap.  They complain that the
text is not properly displayed on their terminal. For example, the
command 'ls -l /usr/games' will display the first few lines, then some
messed up text indicating that some kind of overflow happened.

What could be the cause of this? I don't understand why such problems
happen at a speed as low as 2400 bps. One user has a 14,400 bps modem
(a GVC, I think) and doesn't have those problems when he's logged in at
more than 14,400 bps. Of course, he is then using the error checking
modes of his modem.

I noticed the 'xo' boolean variable that a termcap can contain.  If I
add that to the vt100 termcap and ask my users to turn on their
Telix/Telemate XON/XOFF mechanism, could it help?

Thanks.

Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@cs.mcgill.ca> [Montreal]