Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 11:34:27 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to "fix" more(1) vs termcap/terminfo?

Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu> wrote:

> Can I ask a question?  ti/te codes in termcap are codes intended to allow
> complicated tercap-ized programs (programs that need to put your terminal
> in some nonstandard state to get complete cursor control) a good way to
> reset the terminal

My impression of the evolution of things is that things happened in
roughly this order

1) more doesn't use ti/te caps.
2) less does use ti/te caps for whatever reason.  Maybe just because it
   gave the screen restoration behavior (that I find generally annoying)
   under some termcap entries.
3) FreeBSD more acquires features from less (after all less is more :-)).

At the moment, 'less' (v290?) has an option to ALWAYS pause at EOF.  If
using a termcap entry with ti/te caps that cause screen restoration, that
behavior is required.  The FreeBSD 'more' has an option to pause at EOF,
but only if more than one screenful has been presented.  I think one or
more of these should happen:

1) the 'more' -e option should be modified to ALWAYS pause at EOF (as less
   290 does).
2) 'more' should always ignore the ti/te caps.
3) 'more' should have an option to cause it to ignore the ti/te caps.
4) We should ignore the problem and tell people to remove the ti/te caps
   from their "custom" termcap if they have this problem.

I think that, if I ever get time to do so, I'll probably do a send-pr with
a patch to accomplish #1 above included.

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org