Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 1996 21:59:16 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Geoffrey Deasey <deasey@server1.netpath.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot -c for non standard kernel drivers

>ok, I booted it with the -c so I could change the irq and iomem settings
>for my smc network card which the kernel put at irq5 (my soundblaster is
>their) and iomem 0xe0000 the kernel put it at 0xd8000.  I changed the
>settings and exited the menu and got a message about the wrong bucket and
>a kernel panic.

   Ugh. Obviously it should do that. I think the wrong bucket panic only
happens when an internal inconsistency is detected. Are you running with a
customized kernel (one you built yourself)? Did you specify the address
properly in hex (0xe0000), or could it be that you just typed "e0000"? You
might also look at the result after you changed it (using the ls command) and
make sure that it properly set.

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project