Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 09:21:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WARNING: proposed change to samba port

> On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > I really would like packages being installed like in the ports
> > hierarchie on the CD-ROM...
> > For example:
> >
> > 	/usr/local/www/cached-1.4/{bin,lib,man/man[12345678n]}
> > 	/usr/local/sysutils/top-3.3/{bin,lib,man/man[12345678n]}
> > I'd then make symlinks to /usr/local/{bin,man/man...},...
>
> Um...  thats sick.  The point about where to install packages to
> ease their removal is moot.  Use pkg_del or whatever its called.
> If you install it by hand then you can put it whereever you like.

Just a moment. I don't want to favour this installation
hierarchie only for the ease of removal. Completely mistaken,
that wasn't my intention. It makes it easy to see directly
what programs, utilities, manpages and so on belong to the
packages ... If you have to deal with a complete new package,
let's say inn-1.4, then it's a big advantage to have everything
in one place. It makes it easier to learn to use the package.

> > BTW: ls /usr/local/bin | wc -l 415
> > 	-> awful, 415 utilities in /usr/local/bin ...
> >
> >      ls /usr/local/man/man1 | wc -l 335
> > 	-> and only 335 manual pages available ....
>
> Um... Some things don't have manual pages.  The dir structure is not
> to blame for this.

But another directory structure would make very easy to see,
to what package it belongs.

> > It's in my opineon much more complicated, if you have to dig around
> > in /var/db/pkg, to search, to what package an utility belongs...
>
> No, we just need a way to pull this up easily. pkg_info -L maybe?

Ok, not bad.

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH