Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 19:55:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: adjkerntz (was: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/tzsetup ...)

As =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= wrote:

(Applicability of adjkerntz)

> Of course, pure Unix machine don't need it. But if you sometimes
> mount DOS floppies (msdosfs), you need it.

msdosfs?  MSDOS' idea of a timezone is broken by design (i.e., it
doesn't have an idea about it at all).  Someone in Australia could
send a file with a DOS timestamp to somebody in California across the
Internet, and the recipient will see a file that appears to be written
``in the future''.

I don't see how adjkerntz should fix it.  Since DOS files don't have
an explicit timezone, you can imply any time zone you want, so
applying the kernel's idea (UTC) seems to be most logical.  (Note that
this might conflict with the idea of your local DOS, but applying the
localtime does as well conflict with the idea of any other DOS not
running in *your* localtime zone.)

To be honest, even in cases where i run DOS every now and then, i
simply don't care for its broken idea of a timezone.  I live with it
running in UTC then.

(brokeness of adjkerntz for the last DST switchover in the EU)

> > It was with a -current version, and -current timezone settings.  So it
> > seems that new versions do also have bugs. ;)
>
> I need more info on this subject, i.e. some test results,
> DST rules and what finally happens.

DST rules: MET

How to reproduce: setup localtime as MET, and tweak your clock to run
from Mar 31, 1996, 01:58 MET onwards.  Watch the syslog at 02:00 MET
(where the switch happened to 03:00 MET DST).

I think Holm Tiffe was willing to send you all information he's got.

--
cheers, J"org