Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:17:55 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, mac@nibsc.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: Runs on SCO but not FreeBSD 2.1R

>% ./muicairs
>./muicairs: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.
>
>which puzzles me as 'file' says:-
>
>% file ./muicairs
>./muicairs: Microsoft a.out separate pure segmented fixed-stack word-swapped
>not-stripped 286 small model executable Large Text Large Data not stripped

"muicairs" will not run for a long, long time yet --- it's a '286 program,
to begin with, which would require 16-bit segments to work properly, and I'm
not sure they do.  (Although the twin folks would like this [as, I'm sure,
would terry ;)], so it may be working.)

It's also an x.out program, which currently does not load (I wrote an x.out
loader, once, but x.out programs wouldn't work; I don't know why).

Lastly, I have been unable to find any documentation on the '286 x.out ABI,
which makes things difficult.  (For one thing, they don't use FP
instructions, they have some sort of trap, or some of them do, anyway.  I'm
not sure how they enter the kernel.  Things like that.)  Running '286
programs would also be done differently from running a '386 program, as the
"best" way to deal with it is to write a wrapper program that intercepts and
translates all the system calls and arguments (otherwise, in the kernel,
each system call has to check for whether the program is 16- or 32-bit --
unplesant).

>What worries me more is that I can't even run a 'normal' SCO executable such as
>'ls'.  Havong transfered that over to my FreeBSD box I get:-
>
>% ./ls
>Abort trap
>which makes me wonder if my kernel recompile actually hooked in the iBCS2
>stuff.
>
>Oh yes. I have set the 'ibcs2' option in /etc/sysconfig to YES and that appears
>to work at boot time (gives no errors)

Does your kernel config file have the 'options IBCS2_COMPAT'?  It needs that
as well, I believe.

Sean.