Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 22:18:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        freebsd@newtrend.com (FreeBSD)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Long login name questiony

> Hi, can someone tell me whether there is a way to use long login name (
> longer than 8 characters ) since the adduser will take a login name of up to
> 8 characters long.

You much change a hearder file and recompile the world (much less than
the world, actually, but compiling everything is easier than
figuring out exactly what uses the manifest constant, and safer).

You will lose interoperability with commercial NIS (YP) implementations
when you do this, since they are similarly limited, and you can't
change their packet format on the wire.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---