Date:      Tue, 07 May 96 01:37:02 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@i-2000.com>
Subject:   [Q] Connecting to provider

I have been trying to connect to my provider using FreeBSD for a while.
I don't spend all that much time with FreeBSD so it has been a long
process.

I have gone over all the configuration files listed in the
documentation. I get PPP to dial my provider. It seems to connect, but
after a few seconds it drops the connection. Someone mentioned in a
post some time back that he had problems with his ISP because the
security protocol(?). While looking at the man page for PPP I noticed
they mentioned PAP and CHAP. Are these supported at the same time or is
there a an option to alternate? I haven't been able to find anything in
the man page on how to indicate which one to use.

Also is there any way to troubleshoot the connection with the ISP? it
seems there is a way to tell PPP to display its progress, but I haven't
figured it out yet.