Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 13:45:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hsu@clinet.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /stand/ee

Heikki Suonsivu stands accused of saying:

> The point is not "how easy it is to learn", it is "how easy it is to use".
> People should not need to learn an editor to install an operating system,
> the editor needs to be obvious enough that it can be simply be used.
>
> The simplest possible job and the most important is to get out of the
> editor.  In ee you need to type
>
> ctrl-c quit
>
> and it is not obvious from the initial screen.

You type <escape> and select it from the menu.  This is the first thing
listed in the help region at the top of the screen.

> In pico you type
>
> ctrl-x
>
> and the instructions are in the bottom line.

I prefer pico's interface, yes.  It's significantly more bulky though.

> If possible, the editor should at least use cursor movement commands of
> emacs, as that is what almost all unix programs use by default, if not vi
> commands (but vi is not the end-user's editor, that I can say for sure :).
> In ee all commands seem to be completely random, they aren't even wordstar
> ones but completely own.

Cursor movement should be performed by the cursor keys.  That's what
they're for.  ee does this OK.

> I think pico is the best solution for small editor which even end-users can
> use without problems, but your mileage may vary.

pico is not small.  There are plenty of small editors out there; 'ee'
just got lucky.