Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 20:54:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        miker@cs.utexas.edu (Hung Michael Nguyen)
Subject:   Re: What's so evil about GPL

As Hung Michael Nguyen wrote:

> I have heard many a times on the various FreeBSD fora that GPL is in some
> way 'bad'. Can somebody clue me in as to exactly why (esp. vs. the BSD
> copyright)?

Basically, three points here:

. It's bloated.  You need a dozen lawyers to understand it, and of
  course, they won't understand it either, but come up with 13
  different opinions instead. :)

. You are forced to become a software redistribution institution once
  you have modified some of the source code, and intend to redistrib-
  ute your modified work.

. You are explicitly requested to demand at most the distribution
  costs as a fee, but nothing more.  While this basically seems to be
  a good idea, consider the following: Some of our customers live in a
  world where they believe that good software must be expensive.  If
  you offer them something for say USD 100, they won't pick it but buy
  for example something like sc0 instead.  You *have* to offer them
  the freeware stuff for money, in order to even get it into consider-
  ation!  (This doesn't change a bit in the overall gain we would make
  out of it.  We only slightly shuffle the figures we're presenting
  them.  But with GPL, you are legally not allowed to offer it for
  money.)

In short: the GPL is good for an ideal world.  Alas, we live in a real
world.

--
cheers, J"org