Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 15:21:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Programming Question

It's been suggested before that this area is as good as any for asking
questions WRT to a certain aspect of one of the supplied compilers.
While I'm not certain I agree, here goes...

Is there any way to make the C compiler use much stronger typing.  For
example, I would really like it to warn about assigning signed variables
to unsigned ones.  (I say this after spending way too much time hunting
down an unnecessary bug caused by the lack of such a warning).

Heck, optimally, I sure wouldn't mind if it were to give me a warning when
assigning a variable of type TYPDEF to another identical variable declared
without the TYPDEF'd definition.

For example,

--
signed int a;
unsigned int b;

typedef int AT;

AT aa;
int bb;

void
main () {
	a = b;
	aa = bb;
}
--

would yield two warnings.

I've tried just about every -W option listed, but none of them seem to
even come close.  Is there anyway to massage the compiler into
complaining about these things?

tIM...HOEk
The opinions expressed above are mine,
and if my employer shares them,