Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 1996 13:51:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Lars Koeller <Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        metcalf@imagine.com, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unremovable directories

   Hi!

> Hello,
>
> I was recently doing some system maintenance when I accidentally
> corrupted a directory entry.
> Apparently some of the symbolic links I was making caused the
> corruption.  Now when I perform
> the following:
>
> rm -rf unremovable/
>
> I get
>
> rm: unremovable/: Directory not empty
>
> The directory is owned by root and I am performing the rm command as
> root.
>
> Clearly the directory is empty (rm -rf emptied it).  Is there some way
> to remove this entry
> by referring specifically to its inode?  I hope not to have to rebuild
> the filesystem.
>
> The directory entry is not entirely corrupt in the sense that I can copy
> files into it
> and remove files from it and I can move it around.
>
> It seems to be linked to another directory in some way.  That directory
> is also unremovable.
>
> Hope someone can help.
>
> Thank You

       The   name of   the    directory should  contain an    inode  number
   e.g. xxx4325. You can then clear this inode  with the program 'clri' but
   before you should carefully read the manpage.  Do it in single user mode
   and tahe through a fsck after clearing the inode!

   Good luck

   Lars
Lars Köller                  Phone:  +49 381/498-1665, Fax: -1667
University of Rostock        E-Mail:
Department of Physics          Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE
Universitätsplatz 3          Anonymous ftp:
D-18051 Rostock (Germany)      ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de/pub