Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 16:48:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        june@adn.edu.ph
Subject:   Re: double CR's

Francis Percival C. Favoreal <june@adn.edu.ph> asked:
> This is still some problem I cannot resolve. Whenever the enter key
> is pressed in a workstation, it always results to two enter keys pressed.
> However, accessing from the server console does not have this problem.
>
> We are using NCSA Telnet from workstations. We have tried to modify
> config.tel, the line on CR mapping but to no success. I have tried to hack
> the server's term files but lacking knowledge on it, only produced futile
> results.

You have told the tty driver, via stty, to turn on CR->NL mapping or
some such thing.  Try doing stty -a in a telnet session and stty -a
on the console, and see what is different.  Any differences you discover,
especially in settings like icrnl, inlcr, etc., are probably causing
the problem.

You'll also want to determine where these are being set incorrectly,
so you can solve the problem system-wide.  I'm not sure where pty's
like a telnet port pick up their initial stty settings, and don't
have a FreeBSD system at hand right now.