Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 11:47:48 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joerg@freefall.freebsd.org (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-all@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-sys@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  src/sys/scsi cd.c

Joerg Wunsch stands accused of saying:
> joerg       96/12/24 03:35:25
>
>   Modified:    sys/scsi  cd.c
>   Log:
>   Slightly re-order the sequence of commands issued, so try to send
>   the START UNIT command before testing whether the device is ready.
>   Maybe it should be done even earlier, i'm not 100 % sure.

>From recent experience with a box full of disks jumpered to spin up on
command (inadequate power supply), I'd really appreciate it if the
START UNIT command could be sent during the probe, followed by a
_long_ wait for the drive to become ready.  NetBSD sends the start
command on the first open, but often doesn't wait long enough (the
disks in the box are CDC 94171's, and it's even money whether they're
ready or not before it gives up on them).

30s would be a good minimum; if someone can find me the SCSI interface
card for a CDC Sabre I can test with it - I don't know any other SCSI
disks that take as long as it does to come ready.  I'll trade you an
Emulex SDI interface card if you can use it 8)