Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 19:45:04 -0600
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd and pap

I'm getting tired of manually dialing out with kermit, logging in,
suspending kermit, and launching pppd.

As a first stage in automating the process I thought I'd try automating the
login process with pap. Does anyone have an example they could share? I
think my problem is creating /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, I know the "secret", but
have questions about how to indicate my login user name.

Adding +pap and -chap to /etc/ppp/options produces a message
pppd: peer authentication required but no authentication files accessible

What permissions should the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file have? Am guessing
read-only for root is best. Normally I dial out as myself but the above
error was as root.

Possibly ought to use ppp rather than pppd but I got pppd working first.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net