Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 1997 01:57:15 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        shocking@mailbox.uq.edu.au
Subject:   Let's stop breaking current for a couple of weeks.

Subject was: Re: ufs lock panic in -current

Hi, Reference:
> From: shocking@mailbox.uq.edu.au
>
> 	[The great FS patch saga deleted]
>
> Dammit, just get the blasted thing in current, where we'll beat the bugs out
> of them. If you do this, I guarantee that Terry's email bill will drop by 50%
-
> 8^) 8^). Besides, I want to see what all this transitive closure stuff looks
> like.
>
> 	Stephen

_NO_ Thanks !
Have you heard the Chinese curse:   "May you live in interesting times"   ?
We don't need _more_ interesting new bugs in current this week or next.

Like numerous others I dumped current & dropped back to a Release because
I couldn't stand the recently constantly volatile broken current.
Lite2 needs to go in, but as we've seen people asking
other folks to sync other diffs to current, & getting the response
~"No. current is too volatile just now, wait till it calms down"~ .....

It's time to try for intervening periods of relative calm on current,
between assualts by broken/untested/incomplete code;  for if current
becomes continuous broken hell, it'll deter other contributions.

There've been a few "I survived a make world" claims lately .. but not many
in a long time.  Current needs to be less unstable for a while, so refugees
can return to it from their Release temporary havens.

If some people just want to view or publish odd bits of code in progress,
web space does that, (EG I keep my add-ons & diffs in
	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/src/src.html
& maintain that copy with rdist, & applicability to src/ with a shell,
& bits don't get offered for a commit until they're matured & proven benign :-)

Please, Let's NOT _deliberately commit more broken or untested code,
unless the stuff is #ifdefed out, (or kernel optioned), or not linked in
by default, so it doesn't wreck the current operating base & deter other
people working in other unrelated current areas !

Thanks !

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/