Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 01:53:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, dennis@etinc.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

> Vendors mostly like that at least _some_
> support for them is offered (by distributions vendors such as Red Hat --
> there is one "distributor" for FreeBSD -- Walnut Creek, but it doesn't
> really organize or supports anything of that kind).

I am not involved with WC, but I heard that they do have support.

> One can hate
> rms/gnu/fsf but the idea of OS that can be built other way than "make
> world"

Don't hate them, I just don't agree with their philosophy and economics.

> and not fall apart instantly, distribution that supports upgrades
> that could be done by user with minimal knowledge about OS internals

You mean the kernel of the week syndrome?

> attractive for commercial vendors than FreeBSD with its closed-group
> attitude.

Please contribute -- we aren't closed.  There is the issue of having
quality control or not.  We choose the former.

> Example from "noncommercial" world: the idea of "ports" that
> don't have to be supported by actual author/maintainer of a program but
> can include "FreeBSD-specific" patch (most likely to some ancient version)
> and doomed to instantly become outdated without original author's support
> vs. Linux users tradition of using author's sources that are definitely
> supported directly or Red Hat's rpm system that has its flaws but makes it
> way harder for knowledgeable user to shoot himself in the foot.

Actually, I find alot of #ifdef FreeBSD and configure's that work directly
with FreeBSD.  Much software works directly out of the box directly from
the vendor/developer.  You have the option of using the ports collection
so that you have fewer problems or want to install directly out-of-the-box.
Note also that the CDROM contains the apps that can be freely redistributed
(unlike certain Zmodem or Kermit distributions.)

>   Both Linux and FreeBSD change fast, although FreeBSD comes in one
> monolithic distribution, and any attempt to get something fixed throws
> user into -CURRENT (no pun intended but it seems appropriate) with all its
> instability and experiments around.

Not true, 2.2.X is a new released codebase.  It isn't -current.  Things get
fixed in the 2.2.X base.  I wouldn't be suprised if 2.1.X is also still being
supported for existing apps, on an as needed basis.  BTW, -current isn't
always stable -- and end users should use it only for experimentation,
or they should support it entirely themselves.  Luckily, you can always
check out a system source tree for any point in history (or release) with
the CVS tree (which is publically available -- and you can have your own,
local copy.)  That enables people to support themselves when running
-current more easily (when absolutely needed.)  BTW, I have absolutely
no trouble maintaining a CVS tree on my machine at home with a 28.8K
modem.  There are various distribution mechanisms for the FreeBSD CVS
tree, and you can choose the one that works best for you.

> If vendors that now support Linux had
> to switch to 2.1.x kernel just to keep with library changes I believe,
> they had used OpenNT by now.

What about the users who have problems with the shared-libs of the
week problem?  Which version of Netscape/Staroffice, etc. with which
shared-libs?  The only time that I have problems mixing/matching shared
libs is when running Linux apps on FreeBSD or Linux apps on Linux.

>   FreeBSD technically is a nice OS. Organization of its development and
> distribution looks umm... unhealthy.

You mean a central group of people who are trying to maintain quality and
branding (FreeBSD)?   Or a bunch of distributions with a bunch of different
combinations of shared libs and apps (and kernel versions, Linux)?  I prefer
a coherent development path/group.  It is pretty good that we have
70+- committers that can modify the tree directly, and don't have chaos.
In fact, we are pretty well organized.

> P.S. If anyone cares -- I use both Linux and FreeBSD, do applications
> development and spend approximately equal amount of time on both, so I'm
> quite aware of flaws, bugs and concept differences in both systems.

That is interesting, because I have played with both and NT substantially,
(even though I am a FreeBSD developer), and your impressions are not the
same as mine.  However, I do know what is going on in FreeBSD in detail.

John