Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:20:07 +0300
From:      Michael Bielicki <Michael.Bielicki@linkdesign.com>
To:        Christoph Haas <haas@willi.lion.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

--VLE5tlY1O9Q2l3mY

Hmmm, some kind of Tortilla Flat here ???

anyway, christoph I find your Idea and action perfect and would have one basic
question:

Would you add a description where FreeBSD differs from the basic BSD stuff ??

Would you add a description how far posix support goes ??

These are the two questions I have been asked all the time when I suggested
FreeBSD as a commercial platform. The problem is not only on the development
side but also on the sales side. As long as I cannot tell my customer that his
SCO based Oracle will run perfectly on FreeBSD and that I will be able to give
him this guarantee on paper he will not even dream about moving to FreeBSD.

As long as the commercial customers don't like FreeBSD I have difficulties in
pushing commercial vendors to develop drivers.

I work a lot with development companies for things like network drivers,
PSTN over the Internet etc... and none of them treats this stuff seriously.
I tried to get TokenRing drivers from a lot of companies and was even ready to pay up to 1500 Bucks for the driver only. No chance.

I know that you guys here are not very in the legacy market, but simnce SNA
counts for 65 Billion US$ only in Europe and the Middle East I am very
much in it :))

And there the bullshit starts. Most customers I have would be happy to use FreeBSD as there gateway to the Internet. Support for SSH does a lot, and the
Filtering alias and NAT features are perfect. Stability is an argument too.
But, to get support for tn5250 I would have to write my own cause none of the
vendors supplies one for freebsd. Hmmm gosh, I can get one for 99US$ for Windows
and use it for them with WInGate. How the hell should I explain this to a customer?

BTW, the same applies to BSDI so FreeBSD is not alone here, but IMHO if this
is going to be a commercial platform, give some incentives to the development
guys and stop talking like this list would be the clue to everything.

No developer will even look at this stuff as long as there is no professional
support and no ass to kick if something does not work. I don't see
the commercial guys risking their ass to convince a customer to use FreeBSD

Cheers

Michael

On Mon, Apr 14, 1997 at 11:02:28AM +0200, Christoph Haas shaped the electrons to say:

--
                              Michael Bielicki
Link Design International Ltd.                 Buisnetco Telecommunications Ltd.

--VLE5tlY1O9Q2l3mY

--VLE5tlY1O9Q2l3mY--