Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 00:46:32 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org>
To:        Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routed and small subnets

Ernie Elu scribbled this message on Apr 19:
> I am trying to get routed to add routes for a couple of small subnets I have
> hanging of ppp dialup modems. All systems are FreeBSD 2.2

are you running routed on the other boxes??  if you do.. then they should
automaticly propagate the routes to the other subnets...  I've done this
with a friends network over a ppp link before I got gated running...

> I have tried about 10 different /etc/gateways lines but no matter what the
> traceroute for any ip in the subnets wants to go out to the default router.

hmmm...  make sure that all routed's are running in announce mode (-s)

> it works but of course modem lines
> hang up so the routes get lost every now and then.

what version of ppp are you running?  user ppp (iijppp) or kernel ppp
(pppd)...  I have patches for kernel ppp that allows you to specify it to
add a network route when connecting... and you can add a entry in
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup for user ppp to add a network route...

> Is this the correct sort of thing to do with routed or is it best handled
> some other way perhaps with static routes?

well... I really haven't played around with /etc/gateways... so I really
don't know...  as I stated above, I have gotten it working with routed
announcing routes...  but if your going to connect to inet.. or any of
the networks are secure...  you REALLY should run gated as you can have
it automaticly add the routes and not accept routing information from
the ppp links...

hope this helps... ttyl...

--
  John-Mark
  Cu Networking                             Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD