Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:54:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Kent S. Gordon" <kgor@inetspace.com>
To:        davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au
Cc:        obiwan@zeppelin.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 3.0-19970209-SNAP to -current

    >> Well, I was trying to find a link between Gary Clark's
    >> hardware/software and mine, but there didn't seem to be
    >> one. I've got a 6x86-133, 64megs using IDE, he was also using
    >> IDE, so, I would hate think this was some massive bug in the
    >> IDE code.
I have Cyrix 596-100, 16MB, bustek 445 and New kernel's do not
successfully boot (die in detection of boot device.  Message vary with
-current date and kernel options.  Normally just a hang, but I have
seen disk detected as unknown device.  I tried tracing it using DDB
but was unsuccesfully in finding anything useful).

scsi detection.  My guess is that we are triggering a VM bug.
    > Actually, this is my suspect as well. I don't even think NFS can
    > be blamed here. It is set up as an NFS server, but it is rarely
    > used. I can't imagine that a couple of inactive daemons might be
    > triggering it (although stranger things have happened :-)).

    > It might even be a bug that's been there all along, but the
    > lite2 merges have brought it to light.

    > Come to think of it, all of the other -current machines I run
    > and work fine are scsi, or in one case, mostly scsi - aha and
    > aic types. Hmm.
I have a PP-180, 64MB, mainly ide system that works great.

    > Ok, it looks like only a coredump will tell, and right now
    > that's a matter of waiting it out. :)

Kent S. Gordon
Senior Software Engineer
iNetSpace Co.