Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 00:49:29 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who enforces the `limits` ? (Or: The Forkin' Monster)

> It was Friday afternoon, and I was rather bored. So I wrote the following
> program:

Which kernel? I'll assume 2.2...

> I compiled it and run as a normal user. It effectively locked up my
> machine. For all practical purposes <g> it constitutes very effective DoS
> attack.

FreeBSD prior 3.0 doesn't (readily) distinguish between a "normal" user
and any other. Any per-user resource limits are system wide, unless
special steps are taken to change that.

One suggestion is to add some ulimits/limits calls into /etc/profile
and /etc/csh.login and lower the default hard limits.

> * How to defend against such a hostile process?

3.0-current contains support for /etc/login.conf, where resource limits
can be set for classes of users. Unfortunately, this is not in 2.2
(well.. yet - I'd certainly consider it stable enough for inclusion
and I'm willing to bring it all into the RELENG_2_2 branch if there
is demand).

> * How to enforce the `limits`, as shown by e.g. csh, in order to protect
> system from running out of resources (e.g. kernel proc table entries)?

You need to do this at login.

> To put it mildly, I feel rather uncomfortable, knowing that any user can
> do such harm to my system.

Yes, so do I.

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/