Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 00:07:52 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore with compression

According to Brandon Gillespie:
> Does anybody USE dump/restore anymore?  I've been using the Digital Unix

Yes, anytime I have to do a backup I use dump. Much easier to deal with,
especially when restoring a file, than tar/cpio/pax.

> equivalent 'vdump' and 'vrestore' for a while now, and it has a lot more
> capability than the older dump/restore (such as compression 8)

I'd never use any compression -- except hardware-based like DAT's --
because you can't recover much if your tape have a problem... I'm against
compressed file systems for that very reason too.

I'd rather buy another disk to have more space.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #18: Sun Jun  8 15:32:28 CEST 1997