Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:22:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        max@wide.ad.jp
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, max@wide.ad.jp, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/gmake/patches patch-aa

 * I tested install-info with gzip'd info file and it didn't/couldn't
 * handle it.  So, what we should do, if we are going to add this into
 * bsd.port.mk, is to gzip the files after install-info.  (And maybe we
 * should introduce new variable NOINFOCOMPRESS like NOMANCOMPRESS.)

Or we could/should fix install-info? :)

BTW, the reason why I didn't add the stuff into bsd.port.mk is (as I
wrote in the handbook and mails to this list) because the porter has
to do some of the stuff (in PLIST) by hand anyway.  And then there are
issues with Japanese texinfo sources, which can't be processsed by our
makeinfo (and thus require two additional arguments to install-info).

If someone shows me an easy and safe way to modify PLIST so that we
can add stuff in there as well, please let me know.  Note the "easy
and safe" part -- I know it can be done, I just don't want to add even
more hackery to bsd.port.mk.  (Also, the PLIST may not be called
"PLIST" and could be auto-generated, etc.)

Satoshi