Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 01:43:12 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        0000-Administrator <root@counterintelligence.cdrom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing Problems

> I am running a stand alone FreeBSD 2.2.2 machine that is occassionally
> connected to the internet using the pppd daemon, I noticed that I cannot
> telnet to my ppp interface address (which works in linux):

Well, the *reason* is that you have no route to your local
address, so your machine sends packets destined for that
address down the wire.  The other side sees the packet and
says "dunno what to do with that" and drops it.

You can add a route to localhost and things will work ok.

Does anyone know if there's any rationalle behind this ?  Should
ppp (and tun, and probably sl) be smarter and do the "right"
thing with these packets ?  Should their xxxoutput routine
pass packets directly to their xxxinput, or even better, should
ip_output.c pass packets w/ source & dst addresses directly to
ip_input ?  I'm going to take a look at adding a check and
calling ip_mloopback() in ip_output.c....

Of course this isn't an issue for ethernet 'cos the NIC just picks
up what it just sent out.
--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;