Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 1997 02:11:06 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: PS/2 and Keycode bug

>> I'm surprised more people haven't complained.
>
>I'm also complaining. I'm using a PS/2 mouse at work and a mousesystems serial
>mouse at home, but I have those keyboard lockups at both places !

The PS/2 mouse and the serial mouse are completely different and
are handled in different ways under FreeBSD.  Therefore, if the keyboard
lockup you are describing happens in both systems in the same way,
then I think it is unlikely that the cause of the lockup is with the mice.

>The mouse and keyboard are still hanging while the machine's still working,
>I can rlogin from other machines and kill X etc.

You appear to be experiencing the lockup under X.  If you move the
mouse, does the mouse pointer move accordingly?  If so, the mouse and
the X server are all right (you may not be able to display menu or
move windows, but that's not the mouse driver's fault).

>But the keyboard never
>comes back, I never get any console until I reboot.

What happens if you hit Num-Lock, Caps-Lock or Scroll-Lock?  If
hitting these keys changes the keyboard LEDs, the keyboard driver is
working.  Another way to test the keyboard driver is to login to the
system via telnet or rlogin from another host, become root, and issue
`kbdcontrol -r fast < /dev/ttyv0'. If the keyboard driver is dead, the
command will fail.

You see, there always is a possibility that it is either the window
manager or a client program that is not responding to mouse or
keyboard input, and the keyboard and mouse drivers are sending correct
data to the X server.

>I've read in the buglist that the keyboard hang ist still there. Funny: I
>have these problems since 2.2.1, in 2.1.7 there were no problems. I believe
>my keyboard hangs only when the load gets too high. It never hung while I'm
>doin' nothin'. It only hung up when I really kick the machine to boost
>every bit out of it.

Like doing what?

Kazu