Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 1997 22:10:48 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, dg@root.com, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am contemplating the following change...

On Sat, Jul 19, 1997 at 06:47:58PM +0200, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> Here is the user base speeking :-()
>
> Couple weeks ago we installed a '386 based FreeBSD firewall/router.
> We had to put a 16 bit isa card (Teles 16/3) into an 8 bit isa
> slot. It works well with irq 5. I suppose it wouldn't with irq 10.
> So what I am telling is, there's lot of ancient hardware out there
> waiting to be put back to use by FreeBSD :-)

Well, I think in most cases people do have only one machine at home.
This machine is used for everyything (Work, games, ...).

I think this configuration is a typical one:

	IRQ 3  - COM2	- modem
	IRQ 4  - COM1	- mouse or something else
	IRQ 5  - Soundblaster
	IRQ 7  - LPT1:	- printer
	IRQ 9  - Teles 16 Bit ISDN card
	IRQ 10 - Network Card	<- cheapo 10 MBit ISA
	IRQ 11 - free for PCI
	IRQ 12 - PS/2 mouse
	IRQ 14 - free for PCI
	IRQ 15 - IDE crap

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD