Date:      Sat, 02 Aug 1997 09:03:08 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: second post: elf patches for -current

> If I define BINFORMAT=elf in /etc/make.conf ...  can I do a make
> world then ?

No.  You need the binutils assembler and linker, at least.

Also, you need the ElfKit dynamic linker.

Also, there was a little patch to binutils "nm" in ElfKit which GNU
did not accept for compatibility reasons.  Without the patch,
"lorder" doesn't work right.  I think I could fix lorder so it works
in either case, though.

> Or do I have to be very careful about that ?
> [...]
> Only want to make sure, not to screw up my system within a few
> minutes ;-)

Let's put it this way:  I've never been brave enough to try it. :-O
But I don't have a system that I'm willing to reinstall if
necessary.

Looking forward to your report ...

John