Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 13:39:24 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken resolver/named

> > As i wrote: the TLDs are not supposed to contain A or CNAME entries at
> > all.  So if you're looking up an A entry, you don't need to query it
> > in the root domain if it doesn't contain at least one dot.
>
> Where do you see any prohibition of TLDs containing A records? Note that
> there *are* already TLDs containing A records in existence today (the
> first one I found was AI, Anguilla).

Hmm, I had a poke around too.  net has an A record, but ORG doesn't.

> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

I like Joerg's suggestion :-)  It would solve my problems.  Joerg,
any advance on some documentation about TLDs not having A records (or
even TLDs not needing A records) ?

I'd be nice to have the resolver behave as you suggested.
--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;