Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:18:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: lousy disk perf. under cpu load (was IDE vs SCSI)

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 03:05:39PM +1000, Mike Smith wrote:

>>> However, Simon is close; the ESMD spec allows for a data clock of 25MHz
>>> (the data separator is on the disk, not the controller, IIRC).
>>
>> Depends on the drive.
>
> What "depends" on the drive?

The location of the data separator.  Thinking about it, though, I'm
not sure I remember correctly.  I was pretty sure we only had one read
data and one write data line, but I could have been wrong.  Those
cables were about .75" thick.

> The ESMD spec lays out the maximum clock rate for the data, and the
> separator has to be on the drive if you're going to claim to be
> ESMD.

Well, I'm not even sure if the 3330 is ESMD.  We called it SMD
(Storage Module Drive).  What does the E mean?  Extended?  When did it
come out?

>>> The later ESMD disks were pretty hot performance-wise (eg. the
>>> Fujitsu Super Eagle and its successorss),
>>
>> Sure, but they weren't exactly the kind of drive built in the
>> mid-70s.  The 3330 was the "standard" drive, and it had 30 sectors per
>> track, 3600 rpm.  How many kB/s do you get out of that?
>
> How many heads are you reading in parallel?

One.

> I've had blood out of similar units on my hands (and blood out of my
> hands on similar units 8) and I get the distinct impression that
> multiple-head read activity was the norm.

They may have been in the environment you're talking about.  They
weren't at Tandem, and I'd guess that any multi-head stuff didn't come
until the mid-80s.

>>> Yup.  And if someone can work out how to deal with the power
>>> dissipation, a slab of pseudo-static RAM the size of a 3.5" drive will
>>> probably be cost-comparable inside the next 5-10 years.
>>
>> Assuming the disk drive people don't continue to improve their
>> devices.  Round about the time of the last anecdote (early 80s), the
>> head of Tandem's HPRC said something to the effect that we needn't
>> worry too much about disks, because they would die out in the next 10
>> years, considering the way the price of RAM was dropping.
>
> Sure.  I think your earlier point about the basic mechanical
> limitations is quite valid though; there's a basic restriction inherent
> in having to fling the head assembly around.  Still...

Sure.  In fact, I'm astounded how much disk drives have improved in
the last 15 years.  In 1982, Tandem introduced a 540 MB CDC SMD disk
drive, the disk drive for gluttons.  It was a heap of shit.  It
weighed a ton, was a real pig to program (it went offline for over 30
seconds to perform its power on self test, and the system had to
decide whether it was meditating or dead), and it wasn't overly
reliable.  We pardoned it because of its high capacity.  It still had
the same transfer rates and positioning times that I mentioned above,
probably because of its 14" construction (the last of its kind.  After
that, we went to little 8" Fujitsus).  Try and find a new production
disk drive *anywhere* with only 540 MB, 30 ms positioning, 800 kB/sec
transfer rate nowadays.  By comparison, even the shittiest IDE drives
are a dream.

Greg