Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:10:15 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP support

Mike Smith scribbled this message on Sep 11:

> > well...  actually.. this won't be neccessary soon..  I plan on adding
> > resource registering to the pnp code soon... once this is done, the
> > isa probe code should automaticly skip over this...
>
> Please, if you are going to do this, go back to the discussion that
> came up last time on this topic, most particularly the allocation and
> attachment strategy that Stefan and I discussed.  Doing this job
> half-assed is just going to mean that it will have to be done again.
> Do it right and people will love you forever.

are you talking about making auto resource assignment??  if you are,
that wasn't what I was refering too...

currently the PnP code DOES NOT claim that a device is using port space
(i.e. to prevent conflics) or memory space for that mater... this is
what I was talking about... not automaticly assigned free resources...

one good example is that Pasqual who was testing out my sio aware PnP
driver had his modem attached as both sio1 and sio2..  this isn't ver
good from a user standpoint and needs to be fixed ASAP...

ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD