Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:22:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        perhaps@yes.no
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel clock runs inaccurately

On 17 Sep, Eivind Eklund wrote:

>> > Shouldn't it be still be possible to set up xntpd with
>> > drift-correction and synchronization often, and just suppress
>> > xntpd-messages from starting the ppp-link?
>>
>> Too expensive still.  The dialup itself is ISDN, so the setup time is
>> ~ 2 seconds or less, but having an xntpd calling each 5 or 15 minutes
>> would greatly increase our phone and Internet costs.

Sorry for leaping into the conversation late, but what's wrong with
running "ntpdate -bs servers..." from a shell script run from the
ppp.linkup?  It works for me.  ntpdate never has to change the clock by
more than half a second or so.  Clock stays accurate but I don't get
random dial-ups.  Of course the link is going to come up at least twice
a day for my mail and news, thanks to a ping -c1 in a crontab.

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."
				-- Ken Thompson