Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:43:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        chad@dcfinc.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

> Only you don't want it in newvers.sh; it needs to be generated at
> checkout/update time...

No, you want it generated at the time of the commit as it uniquely
identifies the state of the repository.  Identifying the fetch doesn't
accomplish what we're talking about, which is to be able to say, "I'm
running 2.2.5-STABLE-9711201835 and the screen colors are all wrong."

It's meant to be useful to the folks doing support.  I proposed it after
a very lenghty exchange on this list wherein someone reported an alleged
bug, and then about 5 messages were exchanged trying to nail down
exactly what the complainer had on his system.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com