Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 16:59:05 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Mirroring

On Sat, Nov 29, 1997 at 03:10:57PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 29, 1997 at 03:22:12PM +1100, Andrew Kenneth Milton wrote:
>>> -----[ Jamil J. Weatherbee ]------------------------------
>>>

>>> Would a software RAID implementation be able to cope with having a drive
>>> removed?
>>
>> The last implementation I saw of software RAID on Solaris didn't
>> (about two years ago).
>>
>> It wouldn't boot from the secondary drives,
>
>Booting is a different matter.  It's a lot more complicated, since you
>need to explain RAID to the bootstrap.  I don't think that's
>feasible.  But once the system is up and running, all other file
>systems should be able to be RAID.

The Veritas software that Sun supplies with their Sparc storage arrays
these days does allow this.  It was one of the first things I tried
(having a mirrored boot disk, removing the one it usually boots from,
and booting from the other).  In the configuration I tested, the boot
disk and its mirror were both "normal" disks attached to the primary
scsi controller, and not disks in the storage arrays.  Mirroring is the
only RAID type supported for boot disks though.

David