Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 14:11:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
To:        mtg@dmi.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First time in Un*x

> From: "Michael T. Gray, met" <mtg@dmi.net>
> 	I downloaded Apache from FreeBSD and am ready to set it up. Only
> problem is, I have no idea how. Most of the instructions say something
> like: "configure it however you wish", or "setup the way you like". Are
> there better resources for this?

I don't know what might have come with whatever you downloaded from FreeBSD --
the port?  the package?  I just get the complete distribution directly from
apache and compile it myself.  It's all available from:

	http://www.apache.org

Just a couple of days ago, I picked up the latest stuff:

	http://www.apache.org/dist/apache_1.3b3.tar.gz
	http://www.apache.org/dist/patches/apply_to_1.3b3/no2slash-loop-fix.patch

The documentation is included in the distribution, and it is also available
online at the above site.  The manual has sections on configuring and
installing.  I had to make no FreeBSD-specific changes to it -- it compiled
and installs without fuss -- although I use GNU make, so I'm not sure if
you can use BSD make successfully -- you can install GNU make from the
package collection.  You also need to tweek src/Configuration for
whatever options you want.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@mcs.net